- Coordinates tests and treatments with and between various departments for patients on nursing units. Maintains working knowledge of functions and services offered by all diagnostic and treatment departments to facilitate the scheduling of tests and treatments.
- Facilitates communications required to support patient care including multiple-line telephone, unit/site paging and hospital information system. Screens incoming telephone calls. Monitors department office equipment and troubleshoots minor problems. Arranges repair of major malfunctions.
- Maintains working knowledge of Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system and other computer systems for ordering patient and unit supplies and equipment. Processes daily patient charges and/or related procedures through the system.
- Compiles necessary chart forms for admissions, transfers, discharges and expirations. Obtains appropriate copies of medical records for transfers to nursing homes and other health care facilities.
- Verifies medical records contain complete and accurate patient demographic information, patient identification and registration in the medical record, including appropriate level of care.
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relations and contributes to a harmonious work environment. Quickly and courteously acknowledges requests, responds to call lights, demonstrates proper phone etiquette and fosters communication between the health care team.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department s policies and procedures. Age-specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- High School Graduate, or
- Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt to interruptions and changing priorities/workloads.
- High level of attention to detail essential.
- Certification Addendum
- Team members will maintain annual educational requirements for hospital based certifications (e.g. DNV, CARF or others).
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, reach above shoulders, and twist frequently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs. occasionally.
- Will regularly be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical and radiation hazards as well as blood and body fluids; therefore, personal protective equipment must be worn as necessary.
- Must have functional vision, hearing, and speech.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.