- Assist with the provision of patient centered care in an outpatient clinic. Performs various clinical support tasks under clinical supervision within the organization s established scope of practice guidelines to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Prepare and rooms the patient for exam by obtaining vital signs and gathering/documenting/updating pertinent health information (i.e. chief complaint, allergies, and/or medications).
- Perform laboratory procedures (i.e. strep test, wound culture, specimen collection, etc.) using principles of aseptic technique and standard precautions/infection control guidelines.
- Assist the physician/advance practice provider (APP) with procedures and surgeries such as pelvic exams, allergy scratch testing, EMG, cautery, colposcopy, etc.
- Administer routine medications, under physician/APP orders, which may include but are not limited to immunizations, antibiotics, vitamins and topical agents.
- Provide basic patient instructions on the performance of routine tasks or skills. Follows through with necessary procedure or test requests, pre-approved care algorithms, new appointment times and referrals to other facilities or services. Refers questions to registered nurses and physicians/providers per scope of practice guidelines and relays information back to patient as directed.
- Communicate with physicians and other members of the health care team to ensure smooth clinic flow and makes adjustments as necessary. Effectively communicates accurate and timely information with the patient.
- May perform basic and advanced clinical support tasks or skills based on the specialty and appropriate advanced skills and competencies such as but not limited to removal of sutures and staples, straight catheterization, audiograms, laboratory procedures (throat/nose culture, drug screen), phlebotomy - butterfly, venous heel stick, EKG, spirometry, Holter monitor application, etc., under clinical supervision.
Licensure or Certifications
LPN: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license issued by the state in which the team member practices, and
Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) needs to be obtained within 6 months unless department leader has determined it is not required.
MA: Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) needs to be obtained within 6 months unless department leader has determined it is not required.
LPN: Advanced training beyond High School that includes the completion of an accredited or approved program in Practical Nursing
MA: Completion of an accredited or approved program in Medical Assistant
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Successful completion of Aurora authorized medical scribe training course within 30 days of hire.
- Ability to perform routine and complex technical skills, within the Medical Assistant scope of practice after demonstrated competency.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, including basic human anatomy and coding. Demonstrates familiarity with medication names and medical procedures.
- Knowledge of essential elements of documenting a provider-patient encounter, HIPAA compliance, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to maintain sensitivity and confidentiality for the patient while assisting physician. Ability to develop rapport and maintain positive, professional relationships.
- Requires adherence to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, patient service, attendance, punctuality, and personal appearance.
- Proficient computer skills including: advanced keyboarding, above average typing speed, navigation within a windows operating system, and use of electronic mail with exposure to electronic medical records systems.
- Must have a high attention to detail and accuracy when documenting health information.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced and stressful environment.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position requires travel; therefore may be exposed to severe weather or road conditions.
- Must sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, twist, crawl, kneel, climb, and reach above shoulders throughout the workday.
- Must be able to:
- lift up to 50 lbs from floor to waist.
- lift up to 20 lbs over the head.
- carry up to 40 lbs a reasonable distance.
- push/pull with 30 lbs of force.
- perform a sliding transfer of 150 lbs with a second person present.
- Must have functional speech, vision, hearing, and touch with ability to use fine-hand manipulation skills.
- Will be exposed to the following hazards on a frequent basis: mechanical, electrical, chemical, blood and body fluids. Will be required to wear protective clothing and equipment as needed.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
Monday through Friday 0800-1630. Clinic with Dr. Serrano Tuesday through Thursday (at our New Berlin location and Edgerton location). Floating
Sign on Bonus -
Grow your career (and your bank account) this position is currently eligible for a sign-on bonus! If a two-year commitment is signed, you will receive a $2,500 bonus on a paycheck following your first 90 days of employment. Visit for more details, or discuss with your recruiter.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.